Help and advice
Items we exclude from compensation
Please be aware that the following goods are excluded from compensation:
Compensation for loss or damage will not be paid if parcels are strapped together or bound to another parcel.
Any dangerous, prohibited or restricted goods where you do not comply with the relevant terms and conditions, or goods sent in breach of sanctions. Please visit our prohibitions and restrictions pages for further information.
- Money, coins, financial documents (money’s equivalent)
This includes bankers drafts, current bank notes, currency notes or coins, postal orders, cheques or dividend warrants, bearer securities including share warrants, scripts or subscription certificates, bonds or relative coupons, unfranked postage stamps or revenue stamps (except a revenue stamp embossed or impressed on an instrument which has been executed), coupons, vouchers, tokens, lottery tickets, scratch cards or similar items which can be exchanged themselves or with any other item for money, goods or services, national insurance stamps. Out of circulation coins (not made of gold or silver) are classed as collectables.
- Negotiable documents
- Stamps, unobliterated postage or revenue stamps. Out of circulation stamps are treated as collectables for compensation purposes
- All tickets, including travel and events, or tickets which are exchangeable for goods or services e.g. airline tickets
- Antiques (objects over 100 years old)
- Articles made largely or wholly of gold, silver or other precious metals
- Diamonds and other precious stones
- Fur (except imitation)
- Jewellery (except imitation)
- Sim cards
- Watches, including movements and other parts
Perishable foodstuffs and articles
- All perishable items, (including food, eggs, cakes, plants, flowers, seeds and medicines), may only be sent in accordance with the terms and conditions set out under the heading “Perishable foodstuffs and articles” in the “Restricted Goods” section of this page. In the case of consignments for delivery in the UK which contain perishable foodstuffs or articles, these must be sent by a guaranteed next delivery day service as a minimum requirement, and be able to withstand transit times of at least 48 hours. Claims for damage will not be accepted where the goods have perished and the parcel was delivered within 48 hours. Claims for damage caused by late delivery will not be accepted where this was outside of our control. In the case of consignments containing perishable foodstuffs or articles sent using our international Services, we will not pay compensation for loss or delay of the consignment or damage to the items.
Items excluded from compensation for damage:
In the case of these items, we will pay refunds in the case of delay and compensation for loss, but not damage to the items.
- All automotive vehicle parts and body work for example doors, bumpers and headlights
- Cakes of all types
- Cases (including suitcases and musical instrument cases) when used as external packaging
- Ceramics or composites wholly or partially made of china and/or porcelain
- Computer monitors - including laptops, all-in-one desktops and iMacs
- Fossils, fraganite, and stone items
- Marble or any stone derivatives including granite
- All furniture - flat packed and ready built including chairs
- Glass - items partially or wholly made of glass, for example; Glazed picture frames, Bottles or Crystal. Damage to other items in the parcel caused by broken glass will not be covered.
- Lighting - fluorescent tubes, neon lighting, X-ray tubes, light bulbs etc. or any other inherently fragile items
- Plaster items - including plaster of paris, fibre clay
- Resin items - including amorphite, amber and composites
- Televisions - including CRT, LCD, LED and Plasma screens
Musical instruments are excluded from enhanced compensation.
To process claims for loss or damage for items purchased using an auction website, the auction reference number and final receipts of purchase will be required.
Items which have appreciated in value either due to their scarcity or due to their being out of production are not excluded from cover. However, any loss of, or damage to, any collectable shall be limited to the actual price paid for the collectable and shall not exceed Parcelforce Worldwide’s stated limits of compensation as set out in the compensation table, subject to the customer providing satisfactory written or printed evidence.
Additional items excluded from compensation when using the globalexpress service:
- Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste or creative talent for sale, display or collection. This includes without limitation, items such as paintings, drawings, vases, tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, statues, sculptures, collector's items, customised or personalised musical instruments or similar items
- Film, or photographic images, including photographic negatives, photographic chromes and photographic slides
- Other: any items or commodities that by their inherent nature are particularly susceptible to damage, or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain are also excluded from compensation cover.
Items sent overseas
Claims for compensation for loss or damage will not be accepted where the goods shipped are prohibited by the country of destination.
For some international destinations there is no compensation payable for any service. The countries to which this restriction applies can vary, so please check our country directory before sending.
Did you know anyone can send a parcel online by paying by credit or debit card. You don't need an account or to log in. Just click on 'send now' and we will come and collect. This service may not be used to send Lithium batteries contained in equipment; these must be taken to the Post Office Counter or via a Parcelforce Worldwide depot.